Responsive or not ?

Get some feedback from your peers on Webdesign, HTML, Stylesheets and all things related!

Moderator: Moderators

Responsive or not ?

Postby bingo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:04 am

Hi,

I have a problem that makes me "turn around" and stops me in the development of the web site. If I create a site using a Template, it is too large for small screens and if I use a fluid layout, columns are too large and the site is not well looking... So, how do they do those great designers ? Should I buy another software to create a mobile only version of the site ? In this case I would have to maintain two sites... Really, I do not understand what to chose :oops:

Or perhaps I did not understood and some responsive templates could be used with EWB ? Is there someone who has found a solution ? Thanks :oops:
bingo

Re: Responsive or not ?

Postby vickijgarcia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 am

Unfortunatley, there is no easy answer for that. Responsive templates are still quite young. You can read many articles about it on the Internet. What you can do is search for "pros and cons using responsive templates" and you can weight the options if you want to go that route.

One opinion is that web designers trying to create responsive templates don't have full control over their design -- meaning, it changes on multiple screens: tablets and smart phones. Each tablet has multiple screen sizes, each phone has multiple screen sizes. It is very difficult to design the perfect screen for every single screen out there. There are about 6 screen sizes designers take into account when building a responsive template.

If a business website has important ads they want to serve on the right column and they use a responsive design, the right column will likely get removed on smaller screen sizes and therefore the business may lose money on their ads. You should be weary exactly how you want your website to be viewed and what content you put where.

Template designers love it because it means they get paid more money to develop a customer's template in the multiple format (responsive) design. It takes more time to do and can get very expensive for the customer. If there are tweaks needed to the ever changing screens formats out there, the customer will need them to update the templates again. Very time consuming and therefore can become very expensive.

There is another opinion from a visitor perspective. Sometimes, a visitor goes to a website and they get "served" the smaller size of the website but sometimes the visitor is left unsatisfied because the information served to them is limited. This could result in a loss of business for a website owner.

What if the visitor wants to see the full website but is forced to see the smaller version? There are visitors who don't mind the limited information size but there are other visitors who want to see the full website experience and use the zooming capabilities on their device to read the website. Albeit, there are ways to program the template to give an option "view full website" but that option is not usually programmed into these responsive templates. This is something to look out for when choosing a responsive template.

There are other solutions out there for a low monthly fee such as mobile services to create a mobile version of your website. It may seem like you have to maintain 2 websites but it should not be the case. The mobile service should offer a way for you to select how many times a week or a month to re-index your mobile version. Also, if you seek a mobile service, look to see if they have programmed in it already "view full website" option.

Because the responsive design template is still in an infancy stage, Ewisoft has chosen not to update all their templates to responsive at this time.

But, if you find a free responsive design template, we can try to convert it for you to use in Ewisoft. If you go to the Ewisoft homepage, you can see the left banner ad "Free website template conversion ".
Ewisoft Support and Forum Moderator
vickijgarcia
Registered Customer
Registered Customer

Postby bingo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 am

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your full analyse of the question. It makes things clearer for me on the choice to do. Lot of people around me are talking about those responsive things and my head was full of bad ideas. I can understand the choice Ewisoft made for its software because EWB is really easy for us to create and maintain web pages. And I am really happy with EWB :D

In the same time, I have found a way to restrict the width of my largest paragraphs : after having written, I go in the HTML tab and put the content Inside DIVs and fix a max-width like this :
Code: Select all
<DIV style="MAX-WIDTH: 50%"><P>Line 1</P>Line 2</DIV>

If it can help :)
bingo

Postby cibugg » Tue May 03, 2016 12:13 am

I had to use Ewisoft last year for a convention site, and it was rather able to fit all sizes of mobile. I have smartphones and tablets. I used the darker templates like noir, but I saw it bend, even with tables. Unbelievably delicious! and the smartware can make it zoom.
cibugg

Return to Webdesign (HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP and more)